Problems with Superior Magnifico Thread
« on: November 15, 2015, 04:17:37 PM »
I just started working on a customer quilt using Superior Magnifico Thread.  The thread keeps slipping out of the intermittent tension disks and I'm taking out the quilting for the second time.  Has anyone ever had this issue before and what did you do about it?  I have a 2008 Gammill Classic Plus which has recently been serviced and is on the new Breeze track system.

Re: Problems with Superior Magnifico Thread
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2015, 02:48:28 PM »
I spoke with my long arm technician and he suggested that I wrap the thread twice around the shaft of the intermittent tension device to help hold it in between the disks.  He said many of the very slippery threads may require this.  I will test this out on a test quilt and post my results in case anyone else encounters this issue.

« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2015, 09:06:07 PM »
I tested using the Superior Magnifico thread and found that wrapping it around the intermittent tension shaft twice did help my quilter make a proper stitch.  I increased the intermittent tension and it appeared that the thread was still peaking out from between the disks, but the stitch looks good.  I still intend to contact Superior Thread to see if they have any suggestions.  I know that they have given specific advice about their other threads.  Stay posted if interested and I will see if they have anything to say!

« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2015, 01:01:39 AM »
If you have a thread that regularly pops out of the intermittent tensioner, try loosening the intermittent tension to see if that makes a difference.
Jo Ann Gruber
Certified Statler Professional
Quilted Treasures - Eagle River, AK
Independent Authorized Dealer - Gammill Quilting Systems

« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2016, 06:05:02 PM »
Hi,
This is not uncommon on older machines. 

Gammill has changed the threading path to help with this.  Look at the first video on the Gammill Service and Maintenance Videos Page: http://gammill.com/education/videos/maintenance/

You will see we now recommend doing a loop around the intermittent tension device.  To do this on an older machine you will have to loosen the nut behind the tensioner and rotate the thread guide arm from 4:30 to 3:00 and then tighten the nut again.  Now you should be able cleanly thread through the intermittent device and your thread should never pop out again.

Cheers.
Erik Skjaveland
Kawartha Quilting Systems
892 Zion Line, Millbrook, ON L0A 1G0
Office: +1 (705) 201-5262

Eastern Canada's Exclusive Full Service Certified Gammill Quilting Systems Dealer